Wednesday 12 January 2011

The God Delusion

When I started reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, I was kinda under the impression that he cant have had a lot of good arguements to talk me out of my belief in God. Having read two thirds of the book, I have a muddle of thoughts scribbled round the margins on the pages of his book.

The more I read of his work, the more I believe his vendetta is not against God at all. It's against religion. Its against the different social structures of groups of people based on a spiritual belief system. Its against the loyalty people show to their faith, through organised religion: worship in a holy place, faith schools, scripture reading and such. Its against the imperfections of it and the wrongs done in the name of the religion. I'd probably agree with him on this. For someone to look at the Christian Religion in order to decide whether to become a Christian, they'd most likely conclude not to be one. Religion is flawed. I understand his arguments against it, having seen the problems again and again with structured religion.

It makes me angry that actually the examples he uses of Christians' letters to him and the like actually support his arguments! He has letter after letter from Christians using hateful language, which actually confirms everything he thinks.
"The best part will be that you WILL suffer for eternity for these sins that you're completely ignorant about."
"I thank God I'm not you."
"Satan worshipping scum...I hope you die and go to hell."

Dawkins has billions of letters from these people calling themselves Christians....no wonder he can't stand us, if we're gonna act with such hatred and rage towards someone who thinks differently to us. I feel so ashamed everytime I read another nasty letter from someone who claims to have been changed by Jesus Christ. The more we experience of Papa's love, forgiveness, grace, mercy, faithfulness etc to us, the more we become changed to act out of love to others. No wonder Dawkins is so anti-religion! If I didn't know the transforming love of Jesus already in my life, I'd be anti it all as well. The church and the people in it should NOT be reason for people to disbelieve in God. Atheists should be saying, "I fully respect and admire what the church do, but I do not believe in God." Rather than, "I dont beleive in God because the church is corrupt!" We wanna see people saved into the Kingdom- we need to stop acting like those quoted in his book!!

This book reminds me again and again and again that I am not and would never wanna be a religious person. Sometimes his criticisms of religion get my back up, and then I realise that it doesnt need to get my back up. I'm not one of the people he talks about and I'm not one of the people blinded truth. In fact, everything I do is out of love for my Saviour, not because its in the rule book.It genuinely saddens me that Dawkins heart is so cold and damaged by religion that he wont experience how much God loves him. I actually put the book down sometimes mid-read and pray for the man. He's in desperate need of God's love to change him.

I have concluded without even finishing the book yet that actually Dawkins is no atheist. And maybe this thought is too simple to be taken seriously...but I firmly believe it. If you genuinely did not believe that God existed...why would you write a whole book about Him??? Surely you just wouldnt talk about God ever. At all.

God is good. All the time!
God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment